One of the biggest bugaboos of the early (before the advent of the transistor) portable radios was their poor battery life (and the expense involved with replacing them). GE attempted to address this problem by introducing a rechargable portable radio, using a 2V 25AH lead acid wet cell and a vibrator power supply. One charge was good for up to 20 hours of use, then the battery could be recharged through a wall outlet. Just had to make sure you kept the battery full of water.
This particular radio works, but apparently suffers a short in its power transformer, making the metal chassis live. I can get a couple of minutes out of it with a 2AH gel cell.
Open Front Cover View
Return to RADIOS page
Return to HomePage